The HF Mencap Advocacy Team
Please click HERE for our Easy Read Advocacy Webpage
Advocacy promotes equality and the right to a life without barriers or discrimination.
Quotes from some of our service users:
“I had my voice heard…”
“Thank you for (writing) an excellent representation.”
We want people with learning disabilities to be listened to and as advocates we strive to represent their interests.
We work with each of our clients on a one to one basis, so that they can:
- Express their views
- Challenge decisions
- Make changes in their lives
- Access support
- Know their rights
Advocacy can help people to deal with difficult situations so they do not feel alone.
We have helped people to:
- Access education
- Move to a more suitable home
- Review packages of care
- Obtain grants and benefits
- Communicate with professionals
- Understand legal proceedings
We offer this service through professional, family, carer or self-referral. The service is free to people aged 18+ with a learning disability, who are registered with Hammersmith and Fulham Learning Disability Service.
The Parent/Carer Advocate offers one to one independent support to parents/carers of disabled children aged 0 – 25 resident in Hammersmith & Fulham
- The aim of the advocate is to ensure parents are aware of services available to their disabled child and support them to access those services
- The advocate will support parent/carers on a range of issues including access to Social Care, Education, Housing and Leisure/Play facilities
- The advocate does not give benefit advise or complete benefit forms for parents
- The Service is free and referrals can be made by professionals and parents themselves
- For more information please feel free to contact the advocate directly – email@example.com