Job Title: Support Worker
Salary: £10.55 per hour
Hours: Part time hours
Location: Hounslow – Hammersmith and other surrounding areas.
HF Mencap is an independent local charity supporting children and adults with learning disabilities and their carers and families. Our mission to empower people with learning disabilities and autism to get their voice heard and be included in their local community.
To support people with learning disabilities in their personal, social and health care needs as required.
To work as part of a team, and closely with families, friends, advocates of the people you are supporting.
To liaise with other health and social care professionals ensuring people are supported to lead the lives they choose.
To work within the policies and procedures of HF Mencap and follow instructions as determined by senior support staff and your line manager.
Duties will vary depending on the personal needs of the service users. The duties below are not exhaustive:
- Supporting service users to maintain aspects of their daily lives.
- Providing help with personal care, including supporting with specialist hoist equipment where needed
- Providing help with eating, drinking and monitoring overall health
- Facilitating social events or activities through our weekly schedule
- Creating opportunities for service users to develop, establish and maintain personal relationships and social networks.
- Encouraging greater participation and integration in their community
- Liaising with families, friends, advocates, external agencies and the management team to provide a consistent approach that meets the individual needs of each service user
- Monitoring progress of service users and share information where needed
- Supporting people to be as independent as they can be
- Supporting people to understand and make informed choices about their life
- Treating all service users with dignity, respect and facilitate inclusion in all aspects of support
Skills, attributes and experience
- An understanding of adults with learning disabilities and/or autism and the barriers they face within the community
- Competent swimmer desirable
- Empathetic and inclusive towards our service users
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Enjoy meeting and interacting with people
- Previous experience of working with people with learning disabilities is essential and training will be provided
- An understanding of the different ways people with learning disabilities communicate would be desirable but is not essential
- Good time keeping
- Professional in communication
- Taking initiatives, being motivated and accountable
- Flexible worker with the ability to cover pre-allocated shifts, anytime Monday to Saturday
- Able to support clients who are wheelchair users
- Able to learn and work within safeguarding guidelines and other policies and procedures
- Team player with good understanding of system dynamics
- Observant and sensitive to service users’ needs
- Able to undertake personal care duties
In accordance with HF Mencap’s Child Protection and Safeguarding procedures, this position requires an enhanced DBS check and will require you to complete Safeguarding training within three months of appointment and refresher training thereafter