Short breaks are an essential part of the overall support that families and carers need to help them care for an individual.
The last few years have seen a great increase in demand for holidays with the Short Breaks service. Since 2017 we have supported our clients to visit exciting places and create amazing memories.
These were temporary stopped during the pandemic and we are in consultation with parents/carer in regards to re-starting these in 2023.
If you are over 18, live in the North West, West or South West London area and want to join our trips you can contact the MyLife Service Manager Manuel Moncayo for further information [email protected]
HF Mencap’s Short Breaks aim to deliver positive outcomes for all those involved such as:
- Empowering people who have a learning disability and their families/carers through choice.
- A break from day-to-day routines.
- Chance for those attending the short breaks to enjoy new experiences and meet different people.
- Time to pursue personal interests, leisure or cultural activities.
- Improved health and well-being.
- Increases prospects to enjoy using mainstream community settings and activities.
- Reduction of any stress which can occur between the carer and the person being cared for.
- Strengthen the family/carer’s ability to care, reducing the risk of neglect or abuse.
- The opportunity for individuals with learning disabilities to try new things, visit new places, experience new worlds, enabling them to gain confidence and improve their self-esteem.
- Increase the independence for people with learning disabilities through: access to different forms of travel, i.e. trains, or buses; time away from their carers; management of their own money.